Friday, June 27, 2014

sketchy sketchy

Since I'm taking online courses right now, and I'm too easily distracted at home, I've been studying at Oliver's for the past couple weeks. Needless to say, I get distracted there too. I've discovered the best part about coffee shops though is that after 2-3 hours of sitting still you become part of the decor. Everyone forgets you're there and suddenly you're listening to a couple of teenagers pour their hearts out to each other, or you overhear an outwardly successful business man discuss his struggle with depression. It's oddly therapeutic to listen to. It's sort of like seeing the person behind the Facebook profile. They all become more human. It's lovely. 

(The writing on the first page is from Ovid's metamorphoses: "Throned above them all, and leaning on his ivory scepter, Jove -- three times and then a fourth -- shook his dread locks and so perturbed the earth and seas and stars.")

No comments:

Post a Comment